Thursday, October 27, 2016

Halloween Bookmarks

With Halloween coming up, of course, that means Halloween parties as well. This year my son asked me if I would make his classmates a Halloween themed bookmark. There are 24 children in his class.. That means 24 bookmarks. And I did them all in two days. (Go me!) I've been making corner bookmarks for several years. I was taught by an art teacher when I was in school. The hardest part is cutting out the pieces. I used construction paper for everything.
First start by drawing a 3x3 square on your paper. Then a 3x3 square above that one with one side attached to the first. Also make a 3x3 square to the right of your first square.
Then draw a diagonal line in the second and third squares from corner to corner. The outermost triangles will be cut off and you will have the shape pictured below.
The corner of the shape gets folded down on both sides. Glue the top flap to the bottom flap. Be sure not to glue the bottom flap to the other side of the square. You should be able to lift that part up so it will fit over your book page. Your folded shape should be square now, like this. I also glued a background on to give it some character. How you decorate is up to you. Let your creativity flow!
Eyes and teeth are last for my little monsters. The eyes were simple with white paper cut into a circle. I used the cap from a glue stick to make my big circles and a hole punch for my small ones.

These are my finished monsters.  I think all the kids will enjoy keeping these in the books they read.


 This project is so much fun and completely customizable to almost any character, animal, anything you can imagine. I hope everyone tries out this project! Please post pictures so I can everyone's creations. And as always follow me for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment